Medical supplies are integral in the daily functioning of health institutions as they help medics attend to patients, run basic organizational procedures, and carry out research (Meditek). As important as they are, medical supplies are often costly and can sometimes run short in supplies, impeding basic medical procedures. Therefore, healthcare providers must be prudent in making timely procurement and equip their stocks to prevent unexpected shortages. There are vital procedures basic to health institutions to run efficiently. Such Kits must be in ample supplies at all times in medical institutions. The essential procedures that depend on these supply kits include;
1. Laceration procedures
If they are left open, wounds can get infected and become worse (https://meditek.no/produkt/inogen-one/). People get deep cuts in motor accidents or collapsed buildings, resulting in carnages. Immediate intervention is critical to treat through the stitching. Essentials present in laceration kits include;
• Forceps and scissors
• Compartment trays
• Medicine cups
• Needles, syringes, and syringe holders.
2. Central line IV procedures
Central line IV dressing change trays basically what nurses need to perform essential procedures in the central line IV (https://meditek.no/cpap-maske-barn/). The kit contains items that safeguard nurses and ensures their safety from infection during central line IV procedures. The basics of this kit include
• Surgical 3-ply masks
• Measuring tapes
• Alcohol pads
• Adhesive strips
3. Diabetic procedures
Diabetes is a condition caused by too much glucose in the bloodstream and causes abnormalities in the body and functions. A patient, once diagnosed with diabetes, is provided with self-administered tools to take home. They include
• Insulin syringes.
• Glucose meters to dispose of needles once used.
• Sharps disposal containers.
4. I.V. start kits
These provide tools that are penetrative to the body. The kits usually contain essential equipment and include
• Needleless saline lock.
• Alcohol prep pads.
• A hypodermic needle.
• Gauze sponge.
• Safety IV catheters
• Sodium chloride.
Commonly, these items are used to supply blood or other fluids in the bloodstream in case of severe losses. Hospitals, therefore, need to be well equipped with these supplies and prevent running out of stock when an emergency knocks in.
5. Diagnostic procedures
These procedures are performed to identify underlying issues behind a person’s deteriorated state of health. Once identified, appropriate treatment procedures are followed to stabilize the patients. This kit contains:
• Stethoscopes- Doctors use stethoscopes to determine the heart’s rhythm and pre-diagnosed underlying health conditions that need immediate intervention.
• Thermometers- Used in hospitals or home-based healthcare to take temperature and diagnose diseases such as malaria. Patients at home can purchase this kit and use it to check their health status as they recover progressively.
• Electrocardiographs- These help determine different forms of heart diseases by measuring the heart’s electrical activity.
• Ophthalmoscopes- Mainly used in eye exams to check a patient’s eye condition, diagnose and recommend suitable treatments.
Medical supplies are essential in most health institutions and must be available at all times to help attend to emergency procedures. The health and wellness of people are dependent on whether hospitals are well equipped to diagnose, treat or carry out essential procedures.